Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 121 - Honesty

Honesty is a big deal in my family.  I think my dad would rather me be a prostitute than a liar.  You think I'm joking.  I grew up in a family where if you asked a question, you got an answer.  An honest one.  Sometimes that was exactly what you needed and sometimes it was just painful.

So, I end up saying things like "OMG, what happened to your nose?  It's all red and swollen."  "Yeah, that didn't go so well."  "Well, it covered all the basics, if that's what you wanted." 

But there is a different kind of honesty that is harder to express.  What we really think in the core of our being.  Those thoughts that arise that are rarely spoken because they scare us.  Or because someone has told us it is not okay to think that way.  And we believed them.  Or because we want to please someone we care about and the truth is not so pleasing.Sometimes we can't even recognize this truth. 

I believe that is what causes discontent.  What we want or believe and what we live are not reconciled.  Conflict of the soul.  Destruction to ourselves.

I'm not saying we should live just according to our wants.  If that was the case no one would raise teenagers or shave their legs.  I am saying that we need to not pretend to be satisfied, content, happy, etc. when we are not.  Please do not take this as an okay to go around spewing all of your discontent. 

But, also if you are continually discontent, maybe you need to make some changes.  Maybe those are internal changes and maybe they are external.

No comments:

Post a Comment